28.9.2020

 

Bouncing Balls and Swinging pendulums 


An introduction into the principles of animation and an a exercise in timing and spacing

 In animation there are 12 main principles as outlined in by many famous Disney animators Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston in their book 'The Illusion of Life' originally published in 1981. These were developed over time as many of the original Disney animators, and other studios at the time, would find that they could convey things such as weight and speed through their drawings thus creating much more lively characters and worlds.  These are:

1. Squash and Stretch

2. Anticipation 

3. Staging 

4.Straight ahead action and pose to pose

5. Follow through and overlapping

6. Arcs

8.Secondary Action 

9. Timing

10. Exaggeration

11. Solid drawing

12. Appeal


For my first assignment it was all about timing and spacing. It can be easy to mix the two up as they tend to work in tandem with each other but they are two different things. Timing is how long is takes to get from one frame to another while spacing is the way frames a arranged.

For example, When animating a bouncing ball the timing would be the point where the ball hits the ground while the spacing would referring to how close or apart the ball is on even frame. The closer the frame are together the slower it will appear and the farther apart the faster it will be. 


  The bouncing ball exercise show how this information can be put to use. As the ball hit the ground the it the kinetic force of the throw and 
gravitational pull of the earth causes ball the fall quite quickly but once to bounces back up will it slow down at the top of the arch as it fights against that gravity which then pulls back down again with each bounce having a smaller arch.

 Another great example is the pendulum which shows how the use of spacing is often used to 'ease in' and 'ease out' of an action or motion.


---


The first exercise I did was the pendulum. In which which drew and curved arc for the pendulum or ball to follow. Using the ellipse tool the draw a circle to represent the end of the pendulum and by coping and pasting the drawing object to save time on drawing a perfect circle every time. 
I used the onion skin to help with the spacing of the pendulum have it slow down at is highest point as it fights to stay in the air and then speeding in up at the down on the arc as it isn't fighting with gravity at this part.
 The video is actually of my second attempt as I didn't have mu USBs at the time to take my work home. So instead of waiting till retrieving it back on Monday, I just decided it would be better just to do it again. At least you can't say I didn't get my fair share of practise in.

---

Afterwards, I was tasked with creating a bouncing ball going from the left side of the screen to the right side. 
Though I did it the wrong way around.

This one I actually managed to do quite quickly as I use to doodle like the bouncing ball quite often when I used to mess around in some on whatever free animation software I can find. 
However, before animating it I would mark out where a wanted the ball to land as this help to figure out where I wanted to ball to land. I used the same ellipse tool for my ball just as and easy way to keep the ball the same size throughout the animation.
 


I also made a cartoon ball to better test out squash and stretch. With this one I had drawn three versions of ball and copied and paste them interchangeably so it looks at little more hand drawn.


Here's another version that has been extended.


Afterwards I experimented with two more balls of different weights. For these one I used video references off of YouTube. With YouTube you can scroll through the frames one by one using the , and . buttons just like you would on ToonBoom which just meant I mark out the points along each bounce. 

First here's a light weight ping-pong ball.


and here's the reference video.


I did the same thing with the bowling ball.


and the reference video.


---

Here's a few more links to some videos I watched-



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11.2.2021 (updated on 19.3.2021)

Shadow puppet work and Pixilation